I use my LX fairly regularly nd love it. I was using it recently and thought that that Pentax should come out with a D-LX DSLR body with the real-time metering and other cool features of the LX bundled into a state of the art DSLR. Maybe they will.

You never know, and you may be lucky, but you may need to have the camera services. In my case the seals and bumpers were good but the real time metering was not working. I had it repaired by Pentax many yeas ago and it still works - I actually did some very long exposure shots last summer as was very happy to see it still functioning. I use the camera pretty regularly for day to day B&W film shots and it is still working great - so in my case while I had to get if CLA'd it is still working great.

The LX was made for a long period of time and Pentax introduced incremental improvements, so older LX's lack some features of newer bodies. IIRC, the SO range on some older bodies topped out at 1600, but later was upped to 3200. On later bodies metering is activated by depressing the release button for the ISO control wheel in addition to half depressing the shutter button. My LX did not have this function. but Pentax added it when they fixed it up. I also think there was a minor difference in the dot pattern on the shutter blades for metering between versions.

The LX is truly a fabulous body for it's vintage. The off the film metering for long exposures is great for low light work. I think that only Olympus had a similar feature in one of their bodies.

Good luck!

Mark