On Mar 14, 2013, at 4:39 AM, Derby Chang wrote:

> Often, on the street, I say to self, self, you just took a lazy shot. Someone
> has done it before and better. That someone is usually Garry Winogrand, Joel
> Meyerowitz, Helen Levitt, Elliott Erwitt blah blah blah. Yet for some time
> now, doing anything else feels like dabbling, wasting time really. So I have
> been in a rut.
>
> But reading this blogpost clarifies things. I don't want to dabble. There's a
> Swiss mountain to climb, with probably some good views and rare vin des
> glaciers at the top.
>
> http://www.petapixel.com/2013/03/13/the-helsinki-bus-station-theory-finding-your-own-vision-in-photography/#more-103788
>

> --
>
> der...@iinet.net.au
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc

Thanks for the link Derby. Interesting article.

>       We can do a whole lot of things in art, become ten different artists,
>       but if we do that, there is great danger that we will communicate very
> little in the end.
>       I say ride the bus of your dreams and stay the course.

Back in 1967-68 timeframe there was a relatively new magazine called Psychology
Today that attempted to make serious psychological research accessible to the
general public. It soon degenerated into a mish-mash of voodooistic pop
psychology nonsense, but for a while there were serious articles. One that has
stuck with me all of these years was a commentary on what the author labeled as
the "zeitgeister shyster." The targets of the diatribe were those researchers
who pounced on the hot topic of the day, did a few quick studies which were of
no lasting importance but which were published because the journal editors were
eager for articles on those hot topics. (And had no peer reviewers competent in
the topic to flag the lack of quality in the articles.) As the zeitgeist
changed, the zeitgeister shyster would change targets, continuing to accumulate
articles in his resumé but contributing nothing substantive to the body of
knowledge. The message in the article you referenced is the same: don't jump
from fad to fad, shadowing others. Find something meaningful to you and work at
it until you get it right.

stan