Big bad Banksia men are rather pretty close up, aren't they? I like the soft top light in these.

On 31/03/2013 11:14 PM, Brian Walters wrote:
G'day all

Looking at Mark's post about his macro tests with the Q made me realise that I needed to get off my backside and take some photos with my Q.

My needs are more modest than Mark's - I'm more into close-up than true macro - so, rummaging around in my bits and pieces drawer I came across a Canon Close-Up Lens 450. I'm not sure where it came from but may have been attached to an old Canonflex SLR I bought some years ago (that's certainly the only Canon I've ever owned).

The close up lens is 58mm diameter and fortunately I had enough step -up rings between 40.5mm and 58mm to be able to mount it on the front of the 06 zoom (5 step-up rings in total).

Here's a very quick experiment using my favourite plant as a subject.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1370864/PentaxQ/pentaxQ.html

The first two photos are without the close up lens attached, just to see how the 06 zoom preformed on its own. The third photo is with the close up lens attached and as close as I could get to the plant while still being able to autofocus.

Unfortunately, I was so concentrated on focusing distance that I totally forgot about depth of field, so these are all with the lens pretty much wide open. But, all told, I'm pretty happy with the result and the close up lens will become part of my 'Q Kit'.