Meanwhile, at Microsoft ...

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/6855756_700b.jpg

From: "Bob W"
From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Derby Chang

I can't answer your question, Bob. But that skeuomorphism
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeuomorph) was a particular fetish of
the departed software head Scott Forstall

http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/30/skeuomorphic-design-or-one-reason-we-
can-be-thankful-scott-forstall-is-gone/

Maybe in time, with Sir Jony taking over, the apps will change.

Well, let's hope so. Thanks for those links - I'm glad I'm not the only
aesthete whose delicate sense of taste has been offended. After the very
engineered experience of taking the machine out of the box it really pulls
you up sharp when you see that sort of thing.

Logically, I can understand wanting some legacy visual clues to get new
users used to how apps work, but I totally agree with you about how
tacky they look in practice. Really reminds be of wood veneer on the
Brady station wagon.