On Apr 9, 2013, at 1:21 PM, Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/04/2013 7:43 AM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
>
> > That's why voucher funded charter schools are needed in those other areas.
> > They can provide the competition for the public schools. >Community
> > involvement is another thing, but having an alternative to  the public
> > schools is a start.
>
> And when all the kids are going to charter schools via a voucher program, you
> will have a de facto public schools system which is funded by a combination
> of public funding and private tuition, probably to the chagrin of the people
> on the private funding side (why should we pay our freight when the majority
> don't?), but is a given that it will be much more expensive than the public
> system it has replaced.
> Why not just fix the public system instead?

We've been trying to fix the public school system for fifty years. School
reform without additional motivation just hasn't  happened. Any discussion of
such a complex problem becomes overly simplified in a forum like this. But in
very general terms there are myriad reasons why public schools have continued
to fail, including powerful labor unions, politicians who depend on the labor
unions for votes, and school systems overburdened with administrators and
non-teaching personnel. To that add teacher education programs in the 1970s and
even into the '80s and '90s that ignored things like curriculum, structure and
discipline.

I was a product of late sixties and early seventies teacher education. They
taught us that if we loved  our students enough they would learn. They didn't,
and trying to teach in schools that were founded on those hazy principles was
like getting run over by a freight train. Our educational system is only now
beginning to recover from the mistakes of the past. But there has to be
motivation to do better. Without competition, there is not sufficient
motivation in many communities.

Public schools will survive given the vested interest that a large portion of
the population has in their continued existence. Charters won't ever replace
them completely. It's doubtful that we'd ever get to 50% charters. But to
ensure survival, public schools will have to complete. They can no longer be
lazy and take their position for granted. And that's happening in a lot of
places.

This discussion seems to assume that the existence of charter shoals and
voucher systems is up for debate. It's not. They're operating and, in many
places, succeeding. We still have much to learn about how they should be
regulated and on what basis they should be allowed to compete, but going back
to a schools system that is operated only by the government isn't going to
happen. That's history.