On Apr 9, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/04/2013 11:59 AM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
>> Public schools will survive given the vested interest that a large portion
>> of the population has in their continued existence. Charters won't ever
>> replace them completely. It's doubtful that we'd ever get to 50% charters.
>> But to ensure survival, public schools will have to complete. They can no
>> longer be lazy and take their position for granted. And that's happening in
>> a lot of places. This discussion seems to assume that the existence of
>> charter shoals and voucher systems is up for debate. It's not. They're
>> operating and, in many places, succeeding. We still have much to learn about
>> how they should be regulated and on what basis they should be allowed to
>> compete, but going back to a schools system that is operated only by the
>> government isn't going to happen. That's history.
>>
> And in the end you will have a two tiered public education system of pure
> public schools funded completely by taxes and charter schools funded mostly
> by the public purse, with a large contingent of charter school parents
> annoyed that they are paying 100% of their child's tuition, while most of the
> people in the class are there on subsidies, and the whole thing will fall
> apart because of the human nature of people not wanting to "pay someone
> else's freight".
If that were how it works, it would be a problem. But it doesn't. Charters in
many systems are fully funded by tax dollars. They differ from the public
schools only in that they are privately owned and operated.

> And you will end up having a repeat of the same problems your public system
> is having now, simply because the problem is with holding the system
> accountable.
> And probably, some smart Johnny will repeat the process
> You don't need competition, you need accountability.

Accountability is paramount, but it can't come when schools are political
footballs and the worst teachers are protected by union contracts. Alternative
choices are forcing those schools to make teachers accountable. It's not
happening quickly, but it's happening.