Can only chip in here with some random thoughts from my own personal
perspective.

I used Pentax film camera gear extensively from 1978 onwards. My first
MX in 1980 was my proudest moment in gear - and it extended to my
photography as I explored new lenses and techniques. I can truly say
that that era for me was my most photographically exciting. A real buzz,
and the gear helped a lot. Fast lenses and fast music, plenty going on
and as I started into my TV career, the photography was able to boom with me.

Much later, and another MX in the bag, and then various MEs and ME-
Supers coming and going, and finally an LX! Manual focus all the way
baby - it wasn't until after the turn of the century that I owned an
autofocus body.

But at some point I bought a ridiculously big Apple Quicktake digital camera

<http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20090727/Quicktake_OVR.jpg>

and arsed about with it. Crude, like a child's toy, with awful results -
but the fact that one didn't have to buy film - it was amazing.

At this point, the only DSLRs available were Sony and Canon/Kodak
hybrids at eye-watering prices. Some snappers I knew had them. Purely
professional and nowhere near the realms of the hobbyist photog like me.

And then, in 2000, Canon brought out the game-changer, the D30.

<http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eosd30>

This was truly amazing - a camera that looked, felt and handled like a
film SLR - except you didn't have to spend a fortune on filling it with
celluloid. Instead, you coughed up the fortune in the purchase price. I
wanted one. Desperately. But I thought I would wait and see what
happened with Pentax.

And sure enough - this camera was mooted by Pentax:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_MZ-D>

<http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/bodies/prototypes/MZ-D.html>

Perfect! The MZ-D was exactly what I wanted. I had lenses that would fit
it. (Sure, later it transpired it would have been a dog, but I would
have had one in an instant, no questions asked). I was prepared to wait.

And wait I did.

I waited quite some time. The MZ-D was coming - and coming. And -

Then a couple of years after the D30, Canon brought out the D60:

<http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eosd60>

I waited a bit longer. I was beginning to doubt Pentax's ability to
actually play the digital game. I had never doubted Pentax before. It
was strange - I had grown up with the brand. It was uncomfortable. Sure
they had point-n-shoots out, and even things that looked a bit like
DSLRs (EI-2000!) but honestly - what the hell were those? Surely you
bring out your best hardware first. The MZ-D! The flagship! The ones
that the pros would buy, we'd all see them being used, then when the MX-
D came out, would all buy them because we could afford them. That's the
way it's supposed to go, right?

It didn't seem to be going that way.

I am sometimes given over to whimsy and so in 2003 I forked out over
2000 GBP for a D60 and kit lens. The following two weeks saw me with a
grin that refused to leave my mouth. It was exhilarating.

But, I hear you cry, why didn't you go for an *ist D - they came out in
2003?? In truth, the name and target audience of the camera didn't
include my idea of what I wanted. I wanted the MZ-D - a professional
camera targeted at accomplished photogs  - not that I would ever include
myself in that group - but that's what I aspired to. My choice. It
seemed to me that Pentax had deviated from The Plan! Don't ask me what
The Plan is, I can't really describe it. I only know it when I see it,
and the *ist D was not it. I reasoned that even if Pentax did bring out
the MZ-D or similar, that would be some time away - and Canon had an
upgrade path already out there - the 1D series (out in 2001). I could
keep on waiting, or I could go now. I thought - hmmm we'll go play with
Canon for a while and see what happens with Pentax - might come back,
who knows.

The D60 introduced me to 'proper' digital photography, and for that I am
grateful. It was very 'plastic' and made strange creaking and groaning
noises. But it handled well and got me into the game. I sold some K
mount lenses and the LX to fund some Canon glass. I kept my old MXs and
my best Pentax glass. Just in case.

In the ensuing years, I sold the D60 and got a 1D mark II and had a few
Canon professional lenses (24-70/2.8L and the 70-200/2.8L IS and 2 or 3
others, plus flash - even a Quantum Turbo battery - fun!)

It was great fun and I was well into it for a few years, but then I
kinda fell out of love with photography. I was all tooled up but I
lacked Clarity of Purpose.

So, on another whim, I got an Epson R-D1 and 3 Voigtlander lenses - to
see if this would make my Purpose and Clearer

<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/epson-rd1.shtml>

and lo! Suddenly I realised that I didn't need bags of gear to make the
pics I liked making - so sold all the Canon gear and kept the Epson.
Fantastic camera! It had a winding lever to cock the shutter! Brilliant!

But my photographic doldrums returned after a year or so.

Eventually I sold the Epson - loved that camera and would have another.
But it was a bit big and slow. Leica didn't interest me at all. We had
an *ist Ds that was ostensibly my wife's but got used by whomever. It's
actually quite a capable little thing - but doesn't inspire me. Not that
gear is supposed to. But anyway.

So for a few years, nothing - stills photography goes on hold.

Then, recently, I got a few photographic twitches - did I miss it? By
Jiminy I did! But what to get???

Enter Fuji. They're making stuff that look and feel like quality gear -
and more importantly actually produce excellent quality images. But
they're quite new and have glitches. Or did.

I have an X-10 and will for sure be getting an X100s when funds allow.
Not if, but when.

Why? The biggest selling point for me was optical viewfinder. The X-10's
isn't great but it can be used effectively. I know because I use it. The
X100 OVF is excellent. So let's see - a camera maker puts faith in
optical viewfinders when the trend is seemingly away from them? THAT'S a
camera maker I am interested in! Let's see more...

I'm enjoying the picture-taking but - as and when I can. The career is
taking up too much mental space. I think that when I retire in about 7
years, I'll get back into [photography] much more. Who knows, the MZ-D
might make an appearance about then! That would be handy.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying Fuji's gear and passion about pictures, and I
keep an eye on Pentax.

Just in case.

Cheers,
Cotty