Comparing the image to my FA 50 f1.7 - the outer barrel appears to be the same size but the inner barrer in the image is as far out (or further) than mine is at the closest focusing setting. As toher's have commented - probably modified for macro work. I hve used my M 50 f17 for snow crystals as it is every bit as good as the Sigma macro and M 50 f 4 that are my other mainstays. Very sharp corner to corner. I can understand why someone would want to modify it for macro work.

Mark