Mike wrote:

> I've had every lens I own on the camera tonight and they
> all exhibit the same problem. When I move the aperture
> ring off the "A" setting it either says f64 or f76 as the
> aperture no matter what f-stop the ring is set at. Depth
> of field preview still works, as well as stop-down metering,
> so I don't think it's any of the linkage.

 There's another linkage to check.  Take the lens off and you'll see
a linkage on the right, when looking into the body's mount.  The
little lever should be near the top, and should freely move downwards
around the mount.  Its spring-loaded and should move back up quickly
& smoothly (if you let it go it'll go back with a "snap").

 The body uses this lever in conjunction with the electrical
contacts, to know what the aperture setting is.

 If the lever has somehow become jammed in its lowermost position
your camera will show a really small aperture regardless of the lens
setting with an A-series (or later) lens mounted.

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/ (out of date)