On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 01:57:45PM -0400, Bruce Walker wrote:
> I don't think you'll get good results with matrix, Walt.
>
> You've got a similar challenge as in stage performance shooting.
> You've got a low-key environment, much of it in darkness, punctuated
> with bright spot lights and internally lit objects (eg the jukebox).
> If you go matrix metering I think you'll generally end up with very
> dark faces and well exposed jukeboxes. :-)
>
> I'd consider going for spot metering. When I'm shooting stage
> performers I consider their face to be be key and I spot meter off
> that. Then I add two thirds of a stop because caucasian skin isn't 18%
> grey. That gets me pretty good exposures.
>
> This will get you blown out jukeboxes unfortunately, but you need to
> take other steps to deal with that, like different framing, getting it
> behind your subject, or fixing in post.

Walt, you are there every day.  The lights don't move around.  You should
know that if someone sits at the bar under the light, the exposure will
be ISO 6400, f/4 at 1/50 sec,  if they are at the table in the corner
where that cute girl sits, it's ISO 10,000, f/1.8 at 1/20.

If you want a shot with the jukebox not blown out, your option may be
to expose for the jukebox and just use a little bit of fill flash.

My suggestion is to set up lights so that one particular spot at the
bar is nicely lit. In that shot of Glenn, if you set up another, dimmer
light that just happend to provide a bit of fill and soften the shadows,
that would work.  I also suggest that you put a pink frilly barstool there
so that it will be favored by the distaff set.

Just sayin'.