South Africans are fixated on Ultra-Marathons - we learn to run far rather
than fast. The big race is the Comrades Marathon held annually about the end
of May/beginning of June. The distance is 90km between Pietermaritzburg &
Durban alternating in direction each year & attracting about 18000 runners.
If you would like some info on this famous race. go here:

http://www.comrades.com/

Most clubs in SA hold a 60km run 5 weeks before the event, being the final
heavy training run before the big day. Phalaborwa Road Runners is no
exception. This year we opted for a rural route rather than main roads.
The club Kombi (1975) & another bakkie accompanied the runners along
the route, supplying refreshments every 3km. The slowcoaches started at 5am
& the quickest runners at 6am. Individual finishing times were between 4½ &
7½ hours ending with a traditional braai around the swimming pool. The
weather this year was overcast & coolish - perfect for running but lousy for
photography. This GESO is a record of the day and gives some idea of life in
rural South Africa. The images are nothing special - in fact they are all a
bit soft. I'm that skinny chap wearing the red cap at the right hand side of
the "Survivors & Supporters" photo. Thanks for asking!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisselstroom/sets/72157633370084098/

Alan C