On 28 April 2013 15:21, Daniel J. Matyola <danmaty...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like all three, but especially the factory at night reflected in the
> water.  Very interesting and attractive image.

Hi Dan, Thanks for the comments. The factories are actually a pair of
oil tankers at dock at the end of a 820m long pier in Botany Bay, the
cranes to the right are 4.25km away from where I was shooting.

On 28 April 2013 15:28, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> Good job of giving everyone a reason to hate you.
> Congratulations.

Thanks Larry,

This is the only place on the net that I look forward to being hated :)

On 28 April 2013 17:24, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:
> Lovely detail in the heron. The industrial one so-so. The bike is out of this
> world - it looks as though it's from another dimension. A very interesting
> composition and light.

Thanks Bob, the bike I couldn't resist, I had already packed up and
was about to jump in my car, the contrast was too seductive :) The
heron was pretty badly back-lit so I had to under expose somewhat to
avoid blowing out the sky in a distracting way, the K5's capture
latitude is a godsend in that regard. The ships were mostly a
technical experiment, I'm not thrilled with the composition but it
definitely proved the system's capabilities. Your comments are
appreciated.

On 28 April 2013 21:44, Rick Womer <rwomer1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Rob,
>
> How did you get so close to the heron?  Great shot, though those birds really
> do look better at a distance!
>
> I like the bicycle shot; well spotted.
>
> The large dark mass in the industrial shot detracts, I think.  Is there any
> detail that can be salvaged?

Hi Rick, thanks for the comments. The heron seemed quite content on
his branch so I was able to get a few shots, I was of course using a
200mm lens too which put a bit of distance between us, they aren't
small birds. I agree they look somewhat more shapely at a distance, I
did get some pics of the same bird in the mud-flats along with a
pelican, spoonbill and some other waterbirds. I haven't had a chance
to have a good look at the images yet, I may post some later if they
are OK.

The industrial shot as I mentioned earlier in this reply is a pair of
oil tankers over 800m away, I did take bracketed exposures but the
ships were moving relative to each other so I can't combine the images
to extend the dynamic range without an inordinate about of work. That
said on my calibrated monitors I can see detail in the black areas in
front of the ship hulls. I will definitely try to shoot some more
industrial images when I find suitable subjects. The bike was a
totally spontaneous find, unfortunately these days I see bikes and I
think hmm, PDML :)

On 29 April 2013 00:14, Alan C <c...@lantic.net> wrote:
> Rob, the image of the ships in the harbour at night and your previous pano
> are absolutely stunning. The reflections add a myriad of ambience.

Thanks Alan, I'm glad that you enjoyed the images, I must say that the
level of detail in the full res image of the ships is quite amazing,
the detail in the pano is in another league entirely :)

Cheers all,

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours