From: steve harley
on 2013-05-03 9:16 John Sessoms wrote
From: Mark Roberts
Surely that's not a serious question? The answer is that you put them
all in a zip file and upload them all at once. I do several thousand
per registration. It's simple, easy and costs 35 bucks.

You do have to separate out the published images from the unpublished ones.

http://asmp.org/content/registration-counts

indeed, that can be a big obstacle; in addition to print, i understand that any
photo that has ever been on the web, been shown in a commercial gallery, or
entered a public collection has been "published"; as archivist for my dad's
work, i am sure most of it is unpublished, but i'll never be sure exactly which
have images been published; it's not safe to declare an image unpublished in
the absence of certainty, because someone who is in possession of a print
purchased in the 60s essentially has proof of publication, and since the
copyright was not renewed, i believe the early "published" images have entered
the public domain

Yeah. Registering a "published" image is not simple.

What bothered me was I couldn't get a straight answer to what happens to
the copyright registration for all the *other* images included in a
batch if a "published" is inadvertently included.

Does the inclusion of one "published" image nullify the whole
submission, or does it only affect the one image? The guy from the ASMP
Copyright Registration program I attended didn't want to answer the
question ... not even "maybe, maybe not" or "I don't know."

I do know one person who had to go to court to "collect" on a copyright
infringement. Or *NOT* "collect" ...

His advice was if you have to go to court, you've already lost. Be sure
you find a lawyer who will take the case on a contingency fee basis.

He was a commercial photographer & the image was a portfolio image he
had created to demonstrate his chops (i.e. not work for hire or anything
like that).

The infringer was a small corporation who refused to settle & tied the
matter up in court for several years. When they finally lost, they
declared bankruptcy & went out of business. After the dust settled the
corporation had no assets left that could be attached to collect the
judgment.

And the infringers were already back in business under a new incorporation.