Hello Ralf & Rob,my copy of  the 18-135 WR is extremely sharp. It is
positively much much sharper than the 18-55 AL II or the WR lens - the
AL II came with my new K20D and I bought the WR brand new - both from
B&H.
Contrast and color on the 18-135 WR is far superior too.
I have attached links to casual photos taken at a recent get-to-gether
at our house - blown 100% from a 7 MB shot - with the Pentax 18-135 WR
on a K-5.
Note: I have used the primitive screen capture method after blowing up
the photo 100%. So may have lost a lot of sharpness
Also my laptop used for the screen capture is some (5) years old.
I can assure you photos will be much sharper and better on a test
subject with a tripod, which I plan to do tomorrow.
The K-5 with 18-135 WR was bought for CAD 1108 - CAD & USD almost at
par - from Henrys of Toronto this January.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y2u0e14w64tl8u1/iWyqtCPDeS

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/18-135%20WR

Regards.
Bipin - from that far away enchanting land.