On 10 May 2013, at 16:47, Ann Sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> with some trepedation - I have returned! :-)

Trepedation has to be better than trepanation! Welcome back!

> [...]
>
> I swore I heard someone say "whose carving?" when I was wheeled into op
> room, to which I replied "where's Alan Alda?" - this turns out tohave
> been a total hallucination - my doc on second follow up was quite amused
> but assured me no one had said _that_ and evryone in the op theatre was
> far to young to catch the reference, not to mention the inappropriateness.  I
> do wonder what was said that became "carving" to my ear.

Last time I was under the knife the surgeon was a very shiny, black Nigerian,
and the anaesthetist a very Aryan Austrian. As the anaesthetic kicked in I had
the sudden panicky  thought that I was about to be cut open by Idi Amin and
Doctor Mengele...