Okay, I took a stab at night photography of the  local oil refinery.

I used a tripod, remote, 2 second timer setting, shot  in manual, ISO 100,
f/11, and 1/4 a second (lower than that I wasn't getting  enough light).

And I found my best results were right before it got  really dark. But they
came out not very sharp (although I used a good lens). As  I drove away I
realized I forgot to turn off the lens IS (I used a Canon). So I  guess I
have to try again with it off and see if I do  better.

http://mapphotography.com/PAWS/pages/pie.html

Any  suggestions about what different f stops, etc. to use for a better
result,  please feel free to let me know.

Marnie aka Doe :-)