Pål Jensen wrote:

>Rob wrote:
>
>> Furthermore; those engineers said that "Sigma's market strategy was to
>> become the third professional digital camera supplier, along with Canon
>> and Nikon".
>
>It might at first seem far fetched but I suspect that in the future camera
>sales may be chip driven rather than name driven. Most people don't sit
on
>a large selection of lenses so changing systems isn't that big deal as
it
>is usually made out to be. Sigma already have HSM lenses and have annouced
>that they will relase image stabilized lenses at the end of the year.
>Regardless, I believe that when digital really start to dominate the market,
>big changes may occur in market share.

Sigma has been moving in this direction for some time, as evidenced from
their large (and growing) selection of primes. I'm not at all surprised
to hear that they'll have IS lenses before long; I've suspected they were
working on that for some time. (It'll be interesting to see if the IS lenses
are dedicated "Sigma camera body only" or if they'll be available in other
mounts.)

Indeed the times they are a-changing. 2002 is shaping up to be a very interesting
year.

BTW: If anyone's interested in testing one of Sigma's EX series lenses,
just come on down to Grandfather Mountain in June and I'll let you try out
my EX 300/2.8 APO for a few shots. Bet you'll be impressed.

--
Mark Roberts
www.robertstech.com