On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Ciprian Dorin Craciun
<ciprian.crac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Charles Robinson <charl...@visi.com> wrote:
>>
>> For the K30 (and K5), there is so much exposure latitude that if you're
>> really worried about oversaturation, just "underexpose" by a stop.. or two..
>> or three.. and bring the levels up to what you'd like to see in post.  Job
>> done!
>
>     The "underexposure" is exactly the problem: in most cases although
> the JPEG (or the embedded JPEG in the RAW that we see the histogram
> for) is overexposed, the actual RAW data is under exposed, to the
> point that almost 25% of the histogram contains nothing.

Since this strange effect only occurs after you tweak the camera
settings to achieve this elusive UniWB thing, I'd respectfully suggest
reseting your JPEG settings back to normal.

In software development there's a concept of premature optimization
where the sufferer attempts to optimize perceived bottlenecks at the
micro-level and fails to step back to look at the big picture. It
generally comes about when somebody says "That code could be rewritten
to be faster" when it's not at all clear doing so would actually help
the system in any measurable way.

This sounds to me like the camera equivalent for you. That UniWB page
should come with a warning label that it may lead some folks
completely astray. :-)

The default histogram is a very useful guide but is by no means a
precision instrument. If you want more exposure precision get a good
lightmeter.

--
-bmw