On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On May 26, 2013, at 9:15 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:
>
>> Time Machine can be
>> told to backup other attached drives and that's how I use it. I have a
>> 1 TB Time Machine drive backing up an attached 2 TB drive plus the 250
>> GB internal drive and it's keeping stuff way back to last November.
>
> Curious how you do this, Bruce. Actually, not sure what it is you're doing.
> Creating duplicate Time Machine backups of the internal hard drive?
> Increasing the space available for Time Machine backups?
>
> Both make sense to me. Combining them would be fantastic. But not clear from
> Time Machine preferences how I would set up either.

When you initially setup an external Time Machine backup drive, TM
automatically includes the internal Mac drive on its backup list and
_excludes_ any other external storage (including the backup drive
itself; quite reasonably).

At this point you can add extra stuff to exclude from the backup
process, like downloaded installers that you can always get again,
application caches, temporary or junk files, etc. That will let you
keep more backups before TM starts deleting them for new ones.

You can also, and this is the critical part, un-exclude any external
drives that you want TM to include in its backup list. Open TM prefs,
click Options, find your external data drive in the exclude list and
delete that entry. That's it. From now on TM will back that up too.

The reason that my 1 TB backup drive is working for me is because my 2
TB drive is only 30% full and I've excluded a bunch of it from
backups. I'll eventually need a bigger backup drive as the big one
fills up.

--
-bmw