Refer to:

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms/_non-SMC/index.html

Note there is no "SMC" prefix. They may be optically the same.

Alan C

John Francis wrote:

Are you sure you meant to put that qualifier there?

AFAIK the F line (effectively the first auto-focus series)
had multi-coating, just like the earlier M and A lenses,
and the subsequent FA lenses.  The difference between the
F and the FA lenses is mostly in the information that is
transmitted over the digital signal pin; while the exact
details escape me now I think it might be that the FA
lenses also tell the camera the focus distance the lens is
set to, which allows for more complex exposure metering.