On 31/05/2013 12:01 PM, Alan C wrote:
I would experiment with warming them up before flattening them.
Vinyl/Plastic softens quite easily. I think moisture will cause damage.

Alan C
I don't think I would go this route, or at least not with dry heat. The film is curled because the emulsion side has dehumidified and is pulling the acetate (or whatever the base is), and there is no matching anti curl layer on the back side of the film. You could try hanging the negs in a bathroom and then turning on the shower to raise the humidity in the room. This might flatten the negs out as the gelatin absorbs some moisture..

bill

-----Original Message----- From: Stan Halpin
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 7:27 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Help needed with curly film

Remember film?

Short story: I am trying to scan some old negatives (color and B&W). "Old" as in some of the B&W go back to the early 1940's. Mostly cut into strips of 4 or 6 frames. Some are badly cupped and/or curled to the point that I cannot make them stay within the film holder on the flatbed scanner (Epson V600). Any suggestions for practical means of flattening these? There is a large number of negatives involved, most of them probably have nothing of merit worth scanning/preserving, but I can't tell until I scan/preview.

Longer story: My father-in-law was a prolific photographer. He has multiple notebooks of neatly filed an labeled contact sheets & negatives (35mm, 645, 6x6, some 3x4", some 4x5). Those are in fairly good condition and easy to deal with; most will go directly to the local Center for the Arts (MCFTA) or Historical Society. (For 20+ years he was the primary photographer for the MCFTA, everything from portraits of board members to publicity shots for advertising posters for upcoming concerts and plays, etc.) But there are a few shoe boxes with items less well preserved. The negatives are mostly cut with one roll together in a sleeve, mostly annotated with the date taken and the date he made prints from the negs. Some of those are usable, particularly the medium-format (scannable), some are badly cupped, and some have somehow gotten into a lengthwise spiral.

So do I soak and hang out to dry, with appropriate weights attached? Any better, easier, alternative?

stan