on 2013-05-31 23:06 Philip Northeast wrote
On of the drivers for the success of the Personal Computer for business use was
the wresting control of software away from centralised bureaucracies and
allowing users to choose and configure their own systems.

Cloud computer is the return of centralised control.

not necessarily; there are distributed "cloud" systems that are well out of the control of a single institution; the internet itself is in many ways such a system, and many of us already stored a lot of our information on a server somewhere, before "cloud" parlance took hold

i think we are in a transition state where megacorps are rushing to capitalize on cloud potential, but where things may settle to a much less proprietary norm; we do need awareness, open APIs and even a bit of fear to continue to drive the process past the gold-rush stage

meanwhile i predict continued disruption of a lot of major commercial services and software companies, Adobe included, and lots of people who will feel disregarded or left behind