on 2013-06-17 14:46 Ann Sanfedele wrote

I printed this from my email and then scanned to get a jpg

http://annsan.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff-to-show-PDML-for-various/4796533_2JPwqh/1/2580849905_x6FRGxP/Large

the From & Subject are binhex-encoded strings that are intended to be decodable by your email client, but something is going wrong; binhex was originally a Mac encoding system, but most email clients on any platform can decode it on receipt, even going to heroic lengths to decode when the encoding end was done improperly; Thunderbird is not heroic enough, in your case; it may be a configuration issue at your end, or it may be the sender/spammer is using a buggy tool to send their stuff

i usually only see this when i look at raw headers of spam with Chinese text in the From/Subject, etc.' Thunderbird decodes it properly so i see Chinese ideographs in the normal message view

if you know how to get the raw headers and want to forward them to me privately, i can decode them and _maybe_ tell you which end caused the problem

but the email in question is certainly spam just from the terms hydrolysed and ecto in the From header