On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 03:59:35PM -0600, Tom C wrote:
> Paul Stenquist wrote:
>
> > OMG! They changed the name of the parent company. They didn't slaughter
> > innocents.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> My crystal ball is broken.:)  However, I have to feel the question is WHY?
>
> You've worked in very large corporations. CEO's, Boards, strategists
> generally just don't sit around and make these decisions willy-nilly
> (well OK, sometimes yes).
>
> When Ricoh acquired PENTAX and the name changed to include PENTAX, it
> was generally viewed as a good thing. It could be interpreted, that if
> nothing else, Ricoh viewed PENTAX as a partner of sorts, and everyone
> thought 'Hurrah for PENTAX!
>
> So when the name changes to remove PENTAX, it raises, at the least,
> questions as to why. If one thinks conversely to the above it means 1)
> maybe the opposite, 2) maybe Ricoh feels the PENTAX part of the name
> does not enhance the Ricoh image, 3) maybe the folks at Ricoh are
> arrogant bastards and want their old name back, 4) maybe nothing at
> all, or 5) something completely different (a Monthy Python camera
> perhaps)... couldn't resist.

Maybe they realized after the fact that PRIC is really an unfortunate
acronym.

Maybe various retailers have gotten tired of dealing with the various
Pentax antics in recent memories, and just as a policy will no longer
deal with Pentax.  However, they may just deal with Ricoh.

Maybe they are no longer considering Pentax camera as the red-headed
stepchild, and they are now part of the family.

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc