I believe that Tim Parkin is a PDML subscriber, so maybe he can
illuminate this a bit more, but on Twitter yesterday he pointed to
some extreme crop comparisons between:
Nikon D800E with a Zeiss 25mm lens
and a Mamiya 7 (6x7) with a 50mm lens with Velvia 50 and Adox CMS 20.
The results might surprise you.

Here is the whole scene: http://static.timparkin.co.uk/static/tmp/fullframe.jpg
Here is the D800E (top) and the Velvia (bottom)
http://static.timparkin.co.uk/static/tmp/compared-with-clean-velvia.jpg

And here is the D800E (top) and the Adox CMS 20 (bottom)
http://static.timparkin.co.uk/static/tmp/compared-with-clean-cms20.jpg

I suppose that there could be some debate on the differences in the
lenses and I'm not sure if the film was scanned (or with what). But I
find it interesting that film can still exceed digital at exteme
crops/very large printing sizes and only by going to a 6x7 size over
what is considered the state of the art full frame sensor camera
available today. I think the film wins by a substantial margin.
(Keeping in mind that this is just not *any* film).

For most of us, this is academic, since we rarely need such extreme
crops or print at such sizes, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

--
"Photography is a Bastard left by Science on the Doorstep of Art" -
Peter Galassi