On Jul 17, 2013, at 10:25 , P.J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/17/2013 3:46 AM, Brian Walters wrote:
>> Quoting Charles Robinson <charl...@visi.com>:
>>
>>> I spent a few days "up North" on Lake Vermilion this past weekend.  Near
>>> our "cabin" (really a house) was a loon who pretty much hung out near our
>>> dock - much more social than your common hermit-like bird.  I only had to
>>> sit on the dock for 5 minutes before he did this for me:
>>>
>>> http://charles.robinsontwins.org/photos/2013/summer_lake_vermilion/content/K5__3991_large.html
>>>

>> So that's what a loon looks like.  Great shot but I think I prefer the
>> previous one in the gallery - shows the plumage to great effect.
>>

> I've never gotten that close to a Loon that I could fill the frame with a
> reasonable focal length lens, even in a Kayak,  I've heard them call, and
> seen them a long distance away.

Like I said, this guy was pretty social (for a loon)!  When we circled into the
dock to land, we actually went right around him in the water and he just
watched us.  Apparently sometimes he'll just come right up to the dock while
they are sitting there.  Cool!

If you're curious about how much of a crop it is, I took a screenshot of LR in
develop mode...

http://charles.robinsontwins.org/photos/2013/screenshot_77.jpg

 -Charles

--