During the past few days there has been a spate of earthquakes just southwest
of our capital city, Wellington.  They've been fairly small, up to mid-5 in
magnitude, but they had a 6.5 earlier this afternoon which might just about be
big enough to make the news.

It's been reported in our local news site as a 6.8 but GNS have since revised
it to 6.5.

I haven't heard any reports of damage or casualties but I don't anticipate
much.  I actually felt it here but it was very subtle.  It took about 2 minutes
to get here :)

I'm hoping they don't get anything much bigger than that but if our country
falls off the face of the earth soon you'll know why.  There's a long history
of seismicity in that area with major ones in 1848, 1855,  and a couple in 1942.

Cheers,
Dave