Could be you're right, Ann. Although the brown markings on the neck of your
juvenile heron are similar to those on the neck of my guy. It could be that the
heron I shot in flight disappeared into the brush somewhere and this guy was a
co-conspirator. BTW, this little stretch of wetland river is in a suburban
area, across the street form office buildings, but I've shot numerous herons
and egrets there. There are numerous lakes in the area, so it's not too
surprising, but at a glance no one would mistake it for a bird sanctuary. Shot
some kind of tern-looking thing there yesterday as well.

Paul