I would go with juvenile Green Heron for Paul's photograph:

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=17486422&size=lg

See this illustration from Sibley's field guide (conveniently in the same pose):

http://i.imgur.com/Cph7z1u.png

Or the juvenile photograph here:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/green_heron/id