I must be a masochist. Lately my daily kit has consisted of a k-7, A50
1.7, A35-105, DA16-45, Takumar 70-210 f4, 25mm extension tube, extra
battery and cards and a FA 28-80 that comes in handy when I need a
lens I can beat on and do coverage type shots with AF. Plus a 5lb
laptop + power pack, and external drive, often at least a book or two
and usually my nintendo DS for when I need to kill time. Sometimes I
take a zx-7 film body, but that's pretty light actually. I also often
carry a heavy manfrotto tripod and head that I'm pretty sure is
somewhere between 8-10lbs. I thought about carbon fiber long and hard,
but ultimately came to the conclusion that heavier is ultimately
better. Even with a heavy tripod its easy to get camera movement with
a longer lens on a long exposure. I estimate my shoulder bag and
tripod approach 20lbs sometimes, plus my camera. That's pretty much
every day. Ditching the heavy takumar would be nice, but something
about the cold metal and glass just warms my heart. I'm pretty sure I
could drop it on a concrete sidewalk and the sidewalk would shatter.
Its not the best lens, but it surely has character both physically and
in pictures. I'm probably going to try replacing it with the F 70-210
soon here. AF would be really nice to have with people. I need a
better bag because my shoulder gets killed after a couple of hours,
but I really despise the traditional two shoulder bags for some
reason. I think big messenger bags work pretty well usually. When I
think about how much I'd love to have a 67, I really dread hauling
around such a huge camera and lenses as well as a heavy tripod the
more I think about the realities of it. That and the roughly $1-2 per
shot that it will cost me for the pain.