on 2013-08-08 13:19 Bipin Gupta wrote
As one gets older camera sling bags, back packs or even the neck strap
become a pain in the neck - literally.

one of my pet peeves is backpacks with useless (or missing) waist straps; a good, countoured hip belt (and using it properly) takes the load off your shoulders; a piece of 1-inch strapping can't do the job; i like a good backpack with a hip-belt for heavy loads

on the other hand, a cross-strap on a messenger bag can take a little bit of shoulder load off, and also stabilize the load; such a messenger bag with camera insert is what i like for light loads and short trips (most of my photography)

for moderate loads, and for some of the convenience of messenger bags, i have used lumbar packs since the mid-80s; the Mountainsmith Day & Tour models have good suspensions, and these are great packs if not much volume is needed; for more volume, and an even better suspension, i use the discontinued Cairn for long hikes; i wear lumbar packs with the shoulder strap across my chest, so i can unclip the belt and swing it around easily; most of the time the weight is completely off my shoulders; there may be a few other good brands, but most waist packs do not have a good lumbar suspension like the Mountainsmith models