On 16/8/13, Paul Stenquist, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Yeah, I was thinking about radio mikes. How much do they cost?
>shotgun mike is good for the car drive bus and interior work, but clip
>ons would be much better for the narration at the opening.

I have a couple of types but a good cost effective type is the
Sennheiser G3 series. Diversity system (always a plus) and they work
really well.

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618739-REG/
Sennheiser_EW_112P_G3_A_EW112_p_G3_Camera_Mount.html>

or

<http://tinyurl.com/24yw234>

They use 2 AA batts in each unit - transmitter and receiver. Audio
connection at receiver is XLR so you'll need an audio box for the DSLR.
If you're catching 2 people talking, you can mount the lapel mic on one
person, closest to the middle of the pair and both will pick up.

I have 2 pairs of radio mics, one of the above and one pair a more
expensive type but to be honest, there's nothing in it and if I bought
again, I'd get the above.

I also have a pair of plug-on transmitters for use on stick-mics, one of
which lives on the industry standard Sennheiser MKH-416 shotgun mic.
Also some wired lapel mics for backup.

> I have a pan
>and tilt head. Should have used it for the opening shot. I used a ball
>head and did a pan from the couple to the car, but the dialogue was
>overdone and a bit silly.

The narration from the driver is priceless, with pauses to hear the
engine revving up. More is better ;-)

As I say, nice interior shots - nice and steady, great framing, no
aperture change or focus hunting. Looked fab. I'd hire you ;-)

More please!

--

Cheers,
  Cotty