I think Matthew explained it pretty well.

When you "focus and move" what you're actually doing is rotating your
neck, describing an arc, so that causes a slight change in distance
between the sensor and your new wish-to-be-in-focus point. This is
especially noticeable if you focus on a subject's nearest eye then
reframe. The arc you move through is significant if you are within a
few feet of the subject, eg with a headshot using a 50mm-e lens or
less, and especially with wide-open apertures. It's not so bad if you
are standing 12 feet away with a 200mm-e.

When I'm shooting subjects at f8 with the 50-135 I can always
center-focus and reframe with no ill effects. I do not do that at f2.2
with the DA*55 shooting close-in (head and shoulders). Guaranteed
fail. I move the focus point and carefully focus on subject's eye.

--
-bmw