Chris, while you're having to go through this, there is a thread on
Pentax Forums (I cannot recall it off the top of my head, but it can
be found) that explains how you could change firmware of your DA*
16-50 to focus by the screwdriver. This change is fully undoable so
that what you have to part with this lens, you can revert it to its
original state.

HTH.

--
Boris