My take on it is the K5 can't be Pentax's top-of-the-line model unless
there's actually a "line" for it to be on top of. The K-50 & K-500 serve
that purpose.

Yes, I *AM* a cynical old man.

On 8/27/2013 1:29 PM, John wrote:
Oh my, I am now really confused.   There are k-5, k-50, and k-500
models.  Plus there is now a K-5 II.  The II is probably what is causing
the price drops I have seen on the K-5.  All appear to be an upgrade
from my DS.  What experience have people had with these cameras.  Are
any or all upgrades from my DS?  (Of course they are, but at what cost?)
What features am I giving up that I would miss beyond comprehension if I
purchased a particular camera model. Meanwhile, my beloved DS keeps
grinding out pictures even though they are not full frame and ?????
pixel pictures.

Seriously, are there any reviews of these models  that you really
trust.....or distrust?

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and advice.  And I thought
purchasing the DS was a hard decision.  I do have a couple of film
cameras if anyone is interested.  Respooling B&W film is not all that bad!

John G.