David, my wife and I belong to a Mac users group in Princeton.

The club has a guest speaker every week, for the general membership.
However, just before the regular meeting, they have two special
sessions, one for beginners and one for intermediate members.  Each is
led by and experienced person who usually presents one or two short
topics and then conducts a question and answer session.  This system
has worked very well for that group.  You might try setting up a
"newbie" session for 30-45 minutes before the main meeting of your
camera club, if that can be arranged.

Dan Matyola