On Sep 6, 2013, at 11:15 AM, eactiv...@aol.com wrote:

> Second party? Third party? Not sure what to call  it.

Alternative brand. :-)

If you're interested in Micro-FourThirds, the upcoming Panasonic GX7 looks to
be a peach of a body but it will sell at $1000. A used G2 or G3 is in your
price range. I had the original G1, and it was already an excellent performer.

There are a number of excellent mFT lenses available, both zoom and prime. From
very compact to fast and pro-quality. I haven't followed the zooms at all but
there are plenty of good reviews.