On 9/6/2013 12:33 AM, Rob Studdert wrote:
On 6 September 2013 05:19, Igor Roshchin <s...@komkon.org> wrote:

I carefully read all 3 responses below, and I think the difference in
the definition of what different people mean by HDR.

In my view, HDR provides mapping of the large-bit-space
(due to the large dynamic range of the scene light) to a
smaller-bit-space.
What the mapping function, whether it is analytical or not, spatialy uniform
or not (i.e. global or local), etc, is a separate question.

I'm with Mark, HDR is a digital image file spec, tone-mapping is the
process that is applied to HDR image files specifically. Processes to
enhance the apparent dynanic range of images has existed since very
early in photography, dodge and burn being the most basic form.

Cheers,

HDR wouldn't give me the black sky I wanted, nor the darkness in the
foreground that sets off the control structure. The foliage is bright
green & the sky is baby blue. I might as well have been shooting at high
noon.