The modern EVF cameras have reduced lag to almost non-existent.

My older EVF cameras - Sony F707/F717/F828/R1, Olympus 8080WZ, Panasonic FZ10,
Minolta A2 - were fairly pathetic on viewfinder responsiveness and resolution.
I used the viewfinder primarily as a targeting device. I remember the FZ10
resolution and refresh being so slow I couldn't even see birds in flight with
it ... they disappeared in the refresh cycles. Yet I took quite a few
successful photos of birds in flight with it by guessing...

EVF responsiveness slows down somewhat as light levels drop ... the sensor has
to collect more data, the EVF has to display a few frames of capture data to
keep brightness up to a usable standard. But when that's happening, with SLRs
it's so dark I can't see anything at all, and certainly can't focus. In either
case, if the subject is in motion, I'm back to old reliable: focus by zone,
guess the timing.

The NEX 6 has a terrific EVF ... better than the NEX 7 to my eye, despite the
specifications. The OM-D E-M5 viewfinder is on par with that, the Olympus VF-4
for the E-P5 goes another, noticeable notch better. The new E-M1 viewfinder
uses the VF-4 panel but has even better supporting circuitry.

Godfrey