On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 06:10:43PM -0400, Ann Sanfedele wrote:
> well I misunderstood that as well (check archives) just thought it
> was a matter of semantics...

The hyperfocal distance for a particular focal length and f-stop is the
distance to set the focus such that depth of field will allow infinity
to be in focus.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

35mm f/8 (16MP on an APS), hyperfocal distance is 25.2 feet.

Subject distance        25.2 ft

Depth of field
Near limit      12.6 ft
Far limit       Infinity
Total   Infinite

In front of subject     12.6 ft
Behind subject          Infinite

Hyperfocal distance     25.2 ft
Circle of confusion     0.02 mm

Zone focusing would be setting your focus to 10 feet so that anything
from 7' to 16' would be in focus:

Subject distance        10 ft

Depth of field
Near limit      7.18 ft