Well, I learned something. I didn't know Apple still had local
independent retailers.

On 9/16/2013 8:47 PM, Steve Sharpe wrote:
At 3:39 PM -0400 9/16/13, Paul Stenquist wrote:
When my  2009 iMac 24 required service twice in a row early in 2011,
my local genius-bar guy gave me a new iMac 27. I'm a genius-bar fan.

Well, I want to retract my negative comments of earlier today about the
Apple Store. I try to support local, small businesses as much as I can,
so I took my iMac 27" to a local Apple retailer/service instead of the
Apple Store, and had such a horrible experience with them that I walked
out with the computer under my arm rather than let them touch it.
Basically it was a Mac sales/service rep who hates Macs. I was told that
if a Mac breaks then you usually have to throw it out and buy a new one,
and they really didn't think they could fix my screen. When I tried to
buy a few accessories (like cables, a Superdrive and memory), nothing
was in stock and they wanted payment in advance before they would order
anything for me. The crowning touch came when another customer came in
and asked about Drobos. The rep said he had never heard of such a thing
and implied by his tone that the customer was talking through his hat. I
piped in at that point and told him that *I* knew what a Drobo was, as I
had learned all about them from this cool Pentax email list I'm
subscribed to! He did not like that, and I concluded that this guy knew
not only nothing about the Macs he was trying to sell, but also nothing
about computers in general.

So, in desperation I took my iMac to the Apple Store. This time I was
noticed right off and someone even carried the thing to the Genius Bar
for me. I had not made an appointment but they fit me in, did the
diagnostics and an estimate for the repair right off. It will be ready
for pick up by the end of the week. I told the guy I wanted a Superdrive
and some cables, and he said that because I'd had such bad luck with the
new computer and such a bad experience with the dealer that he was going
to GIVE me the Superdrive!

I walked out of there a very happy camper.