On Sep 19, 2013, at 7:00 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 06:52:37PM -0700, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>> On Sep 19, 2013, at 5:14 PM, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> It does look cool, and I'm sure I could have some fun with it. I guess I've
>>> come to see photography as a job rather than fun. My bad, but inescapable
>>> perhaps.
>>
>> Best thing I did for my photography was to get out of it as a business. I no
>> longer make my living that way, I'm free to enjoy doing it again, and I can
>> do it any way that pleases me... :-)
>
> I didn't realize that you made your living at it.  These days I'm
> impressed by anybody that can make their expenses at photography.

Photography was all I did from about late 2006 to 2010. The first half of that
was very exciting: client base growing, sales growing, publications growing,
etc. 2008 started well, I was reaching my financial goals and the business
growing in the first third of the year. Then April happened, the Great
Recession happened, and the business fell off a cliff as one client after
another cancelled, went down in flames, or simply stopped existing. The long
stretch between Fall 2008 and November 2010 was horrifying as everything tanked
and I did anything, anything, to bring in some money. It was not fun.

I returned to the technical career I'd left in 2004 in January 2011. It's all
been upside since then. I've sold more work in 2011, 2012 and 2013 than I sold
in the two year dry, without doing any marketing or promotion at all. I no
longer book jobs, I do what I please and sell when people ask about it. My
living income is not dependent upon it anymore. :-)