On 9/24/2013 9:44 PM, John wrote:
On 9/24/2013 9:49 PM, Walt wrote:
On 9/24/2013 10:41 AM, John wrote:
On 9/23/2013 10:03 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 07:03:08PM -0600, steve harley wrote:
on 2013-09-23 8:29 John wrote
Word of warning, once guitars get their hooks into you they're more
expensive than cameras (but not as much as good lenses to go on those
cameras).

i know a fellow who is afflicted with GBA and has some number of
guitars (maybe 8?) most of which probably cost more than the list
price of any of the DA* lenses

I've got a friend with a bit of that affliction, and manages a local
music store.

Music stores are as much of a menace as camera stores.

I did spy a tempting little Fender electric/acoustic (used) when I took
my beater in to get the buzz out of the top E string. There was also a
nice new Lâg acoustic for $50 more that I liked a lot.

So, yeah -- they're a menace, but what the hell. It'll keep me out of
the camera shop for a while.

-- Walt

I've got a very nice, "no-name brand", Made in Japan, beautiful wood,
excellent construction (Martin 000-18 copy in mahogany & spruce) little
guitar I only paid $50 for. I paid more for the hard-shell case I
eventually bought to protect it ($79).

I've been seeing a lot of fairly nice guitars at astonishingly low
prices coming out of China recently, although quality assurance seems to
be a bit lacking (one will be great and the next one from the same
production run will suck).

I think they'll get there eventually.

There's a guy who comes in at work who has a couple of guitars he wants me to check out. One of them is a Kingston, which from what I gather, isn't exactly known as a good guitar maker. He doesn't know what brand the other is, but he says it's beautiful. I think he wants to work out a trade deal -- he wants a picture of himself with his dog to send to an old high school flame. As I see it, I can't go wrong, even if it's a total clunker. I would've done it for free, anyway. But, as in your case, sometimes "no-name" stuff turns out pretty decent.

- WAlt