On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <godd...@me.com> wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2013, at 8:08 AM, Alexandru-Cristian Sarbu
> <alexandru.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Regardless of the speed of the AF, all FT SLR lenses have autofocused with
>>> all Olympus mFT cameras from day one of the Pen E-P1. The E-M1 provides a
>>> better AF solution, that's all.
>>>
>>> You will never have auto-diaphragm operation with a Pentax DSLR using a
>>> Pentax M42 lens... That's a non-functional lens feature.
>
>> Indeed, but you also won't have open-aperture metering with K and M
>> K-mount lenses, and with Nikon entry level bodies can't autofocus with
>> all AF lenses. It's not exactly a clear cut line.
>
> The line between "obsolete but very usable" and "dead and buried" is very
> clear cut with FourThirds SLR lenses, unlike the ones you mention above.
> Because these lenses rely upon the mount to power the focusing mechanism as
> well as do aperture control, without a camera that supports the mount
> features for power and aperture control, the lenses are dead and buried.
Are the K and F mounts dead or alive? You know, you can't fully use
them as in the original versions in either case... but the current
versions are in production.

> Micro-FourThirds camera bodies have been specifically designed to support the
> FourThirds lens protocol so NONE of the SLR lenses are dead and buried. They
> may be obsolete, but they are very usable.
Again, I was talking about the mount itself, not about the ability to
adapt your lenses. You're constantly deviating the discussion towards
lens usage.

>> Without a good enough AF, u4/3 cameras weren't really an alternative.
>
> I disagree on at least two counts:
>
> - All Olympus mFT cameras have provided AF with FourThirds SLR lenses that
> has been good enough for some purposes.
>
> - Even if some lenses couldn't be used with AF at all (for instance, my
> Panasonic G1 and the Olympus 35 Macro), the lens was still perfectly usable
> for my needs.
>
> Both of these things say "obsolete but very usable" to me. mFT cameras have
> been a very useful alternative to my FT SLRs since 2008 when they were first
> released.
Yet others complained, keeping their 4/3 cameras because of that. But
now it appears to be OK, the EM-1 looks terrific.

>>> That's true, but does it matter? Isn't it nice that Olympus and Panasonic
>>> have provides a seamless upgrade path so owners can continue using their
>>> existing lenses? And now with native DSLR focusing performance? It's time
>>> to celebrate! ];-)
>> It's all good, as long as you WANT to migrate to micro4/3 ;-)
>
> I don't want to migrate to anything, nor do I need to. I want a high quality
> FourThirds format camera that can use my existing lenses. I've been using the
> Olympus E-1 since some time in 2008 for that purpose, I also used the G1, L1,
> and E-5 from 2007 to 2011, and now I'll use the E-M1 for that purpose. The
> E-M1 has a better sensor, better viewfinder, image stabilization, better AF,
> and a host of other improvements over the E-1 (and the others). I'm using the
> same lenses, and have a better body to work with now. Haven't migrated to
> anything, I'm still within the same system. Only thing that's changed is that
> I need an adapter, supplied by the camera manufacturer, to mount my lenses on
> the newer body. Big deal. They're even giving it to me for free via a rebate
> program.
You're overextending the meaning of a "system"; that adapter you're
using is actually a one way bridge from a system to another.
Suppose someone would hack a K-mount to NEX adapter, with full
functionality. Does that means K-mount and NEX would become the same
system?
Wait, I have an even better example: the Nikon F to 1 adapter. It
supports autofocus, auto exposure, even VR. Is Nikon 1 the same system
as the F? ;-)

>> But we took quite a detour from where we started - which was that the
>> youngest, designed for digital SLR mount couldn't survive - yet
>> "dinosaurs" like K and F did.
>
> I don't know where you started exactly...
>
> But so far the FourThirds SLR mount is surviving quite nicely, through
> seamless adaptation to its Micro-FourThirds successor. Never mind the many
> users still quite happy with their FourThirds SLR cameras.
No new 4/3 products, ever. End of story.

> The M-mount, which was the subject of Larry's original design thought, is an
> even older dinosaur than either K or F, and of course it is still thriving
> nicely with only one minor addition (a reader to inform the body about which
> lens is fitted) to enable some new capabilities on the digital bodies. In
> fact the M-mount's predecessor, Leica Threaded Mount, is also still surviving
> nicely as its successor was also designed for seamless adaptation of LTM
> lenses.
Who's making LTM products now?
Is the manual aperture M42 mount "alive", because you can adapt the
lenses with no function loss?

> The K and F dinosaurs continue to survive albeit with some significant
> compromises in capability depending on the specific generations of lens and
> body combinations that you are using.
Continuous development, and new products being launched all the time.
See a difference? ;-)

Anyway, it doesn't seems like we can reach an agreement, and I don't
want to force my views on you nor repeat ad nauseam the same
arguments; so let's agree to disagree. Have a nice day!

Alex