Yes, the M* was a ground-breaking lens for Pentax in many ways. It is
an astoundingly small and light lens for its aperture and focal
length. The only thing it doesn't yet have (1981-1984) is internal
focusing. The introduction of IF allowed Pentax to use a smaller
diameter front lens group (the F* 300mm f4.5 is 67mm filter size
instead of the M* & A* 77mm size) and also to cut the minimum focus
distance in half (from the M* & A* 400cm down to 200cm). That minimum
focus distance seems to be the only negative mentioned for the M* and
A* 300mm, but that isn't really an issue if you are using it for
astrophotography.

Here is an amazing recent image by Stephen Migol, taken with the A*
300mm and a K10D. This image is the result of 3 hours of integrated
exposure time (stacked shots).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smigol/10015256316/

--
Nothing is sure but death and Pentaxes.