>While doing a little research on the M* 300mm I purchased from CollinB
>I tripped across this amazingly abused A* 300mm (same optical
configuration). Don't look if you are squeamish about the condition of your
lens optics:
>http://forums.steves-digicams.com/attachments/pentax-lenses/147886d12647643
84-test-shots-300-scratchedlens.jpeg

>Here is the amazing part: Check out the images it still produced in this
condition:
>http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-lenses/165305-test-shots-300-a.htm

Many times LF shooters with nicks on the front cell will take some black ink
to fill the nick.
Even on a neg of 4x5 and larger it is sometimes impossible to see any
difference.
(Just don't shoot in a flaring situation, but even then I've seen some that
still came out pretty good.)
I even had a 240mm Rodenstock whose front surface was pitted like an orange,
all over.
It shot quite nicely under controlled lighting.

The moral of the story is that the rear cell demand perfection but there is
a lot one can get away with on the front side.