Larry Colen wrote:

>It seems to me that if you had a rear illuminated sensor, with no space
>between the pixels, and it had no bayer filter, then aliasing/moire would
>not happen, because the light value would be averaged over the whole sample.
>
>It's the discontinuous aspect of what is effectively three overlayed photos
>that is causing the aliasing.
>
>Is this correct?

Nope. Aliasing is possible whenever the (spatial) frequency of the
image is higher than that of the sensor. The interesting thing is that
with 24 megapixels in an APS-C sensor you probably won't need an
anti-aliasing filter in all but the most extreme cases (the absolute
highest quality glass (at its optimum aperture), tripod mounting,
mirror lock-up, high shutter speed). The Nikon D800 is notorious for
demanding only top-shelf lenses and the pixel density of a 24MP APS-C
sensor is even higher.