Walt wrote:

>On 10/25/2013 3:16 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:
>> Walt wrote:
>>
>>> So, now that I've picked the guitar back up, I think it's a good idea to
>>> see what I actually sound like when I try to play and sing. Obviously,
>>> the internal mic on my laptop isn't going to cut the mustard, so I
>>> thought I'd pick the collective, eclectic brain of the PDML for some
>>> advice. What do I need to do to get decent -- that's to say, not
>>> unlistenable -- recordings of myself for self-critique? I guess I'm
>>> looking for an affordable mic that I can plug into the laptop and
>>> affordable (freeware, if possible) software to mix the sound with.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>> I use a "Tascam GB-10 Guitar & Bass Trainer/Recorder". Around a
>> hundred bucks. It will record onto an SD card (yes, a full-size SD,
>> not those wretched micro SD things). You can also play along to
>> recordings on the SD card. And it's a guitar tuner as well.
>>
>After checking it out on the web, that looks like just the thing I need,
>Mark. Thanks for the tip!

When I bought it a couple of years ago I had no idea such a thing
existed but I thought "I need a device that does 'this' and 'this' and
'this' - I bet *somebody* makes one". A bit of web searching later and
I found, sure enough, that someone *did* make such a thing. :)

It gobbles AA batteries but you can run if off an AC adapter or from a
computer using a USB cable to supply power.

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com