On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 07:51:57PM -0400, David Parsons wrote:
> Still not possible, since DNG is a representation of RAW data before
> it has been demosaiced.
>
> What's wrong with simply using .PSD files?

Because when I apply the exposure corrections to the .PSD file
all of the data in the shadows has been lost, and when I increase
the exposure I get the same bizarre high contrast image I would from
a JPEG.

The image had both sunset lit clouds and rocks in shade, so it had
a tremendous dynamic range.  For each particular frame, I can process it
in lightroom to get something reasonable.

Let's take three pixels (in one color) shot at three different exposures.

If you had a 16 bit sensor the values would be (in hex, because it's easier
to do the math)

FFAA 0888 0055

We'll take three eight bit readings:

00FF 0008 0000 -8 stops
00FF 0088 0005  0 stops
00FF 00F8 0055 +8 stops

It should be able to do the math, based on the exif data
and give me
FF00 0800 0000
FF00 0880 0050
FF00 0F80 0055

Then, throwing way the clipped values, that should get me
FF00 0880 0055

Giving me an image with 16 bits of range and 8 bits of precision.

Instead, what it is doing is the equivalent of raw data
that is
FFAA 0888 0555
and giving me a pano with
00FF 0008 0000