On Oct 27, 2013, at 12:40 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> … What I do want is that each pixel in the file has all fourteen bits of
> data, from each of the three channels. …

I think you're confused.

14 bit is the output quantization space used by the A->D converter when
transforming the image date from sensor capture to raw storage. The data is
never represented in that form in any RGB component rendering.

The minimum loss post-chroma interpolation and gamma correction is represented
in an RGB-component file with 16-bits per component and ProPhoto RGB color
space. So, if you want the minimum losses for panorama assembly, convert the
data to TIFF 16bit, making your best adjustments to retain all the tonal
gradations, then hand that off to the panorama stitching engine if it can
accept that kind of data.